Thursday, November 17, 2011

fall wreath thanksgiving placecard and napkin ring {tutorial}

Remember those leaves from my "Give Thanks" Thanksgiving banner and bunting yesterday? I used my leftover supplies (burlap, too!) to finish off my Thanksgiving table place settings with easy place cards and napkin rings. I mean really easy. Here's how to throw together a few before your Thanksgiving dinner!


Thanksgiving Wreath Place Cards & Napkin Ring Tutorial
 Supplies:
 
*Simple leaves cut from patterned paper (by hand or with your Silhouette machine--see below)
*Coordinating buttons
*3" circle wreath cut from card stock
*Kraft card stock for place cards
*Paper cutter
*Glue Dots or other strong glue
*Pop-up adhesive dots
*Sewing machine and coordinating thread (optional)
*Scraps of burlap or other fabric
*Hemp twine or linen thread

1. Gather your favorite fall patterned papers and cut simple leaf shapes out. I used about 20-25 per place card. You can definitely cut these by hand, but to make it faster I used my Silhouette cutting machine. To do this I made a sheet in Photoshop with a strip of some of my favorite digital papers and printed it. Then I drew a very simple leaf shape in the Silhouette software.
I duplicated the leaves in the software and arranged them on the strips of paper. Then I cut them out. Easy peasy, not to mention fast and cheap! 
I cut several sheets worth (and used many of them for the fall leaves bunting in this post), then used the leftovers for my place cards.

2. Fold leaves in half lengthwise to give them depth. I also sewed down the center of a few of them with my sewing machine for some interest.
 
3. Start building your wreath by attaching a left to your paper circle with Glue Dots or other adhesive.
 
 Overlap leaves so none of the paper wreath is showing.
 
Occasionally pop up a leaf with a pop-up adhesive dot.
 
 
Continue around the wreath until full.
 
 

4. Adhere a few coordinating buttons around the wreath using Glue Dots. 
 

5. Print your guests' names on card stock. Cut place cards to 3" x 5.25", with the name showing in the center between 3" and 4" down. I used the CK Woodbine Swashes font for the names, and the Damask Dings1 font for the leaf (just to keep it simple and in line with my fall wreath).
 
 Fold the cards in half. The name will be toward the top of the card.
 

6. Add a couple of pop-up adhesive dots to the bottom half of the wreath.
 
 Attach to the card so the name is showing through the center of the wreath.
 

Arrange place cards on table or plates for a splash of color. You can also use the inside for guests to write something they're thankful for--I love when projects do double duty.

Now for the napkin ring. I used the burlap scraps from the Thanksgiving banner, a button, and some hemp twine. Wrap a 3" strip around your napkin, tie with a piece of hemp twine, and tie a button on top. I know, seriously easy. And you use up scraps. And it coordinates with your banner and place cards! You're welcome. :)

Hope you all have a safe and happy Thanksgiving! Bring on the good eats!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
9 Comments

9 Responses to “fall wreath thanksgiving placecard and napkin ring {tutorial}”

Unknown said...

This is the nicest idea I have seen this year for Thanksgiving, thanks for sharing!

Karen said...

So simple and cute! I love all the different colors of leaves you can use. Fabulous:)

Laura said...

What a cute wreath. I'm enjoying your projects but I'm dying to get started on the cute crochet hats that you posted awhile back. when will you have the pattern up.
Thanks so much.

CJ said...

Very nice! Thanks for sharing this. :)

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Laura, I'm just waiting on my pattern testers to get back to me so there aren't any errors! I'm shooting for Monday, Nov. 21 as my launch date for my new line--stay tuned! :)

Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon Designs said...

LOVE these!! Your attention to detail is fabulous!! What a festive table!
Would love for you to link them up to our "Home For The Holidays" link party!!

http://www.uncommondesignsonline.com/2011/11/home-for-holidays-link-party-2.html

LolaCookieCake said...

Gracias por compartir estas ideas, están geniales!!!!
Saludos
Loly

Unknown said...

These would work in an x-mas theme too! I might just try it :)

Live Laugh Rowe said...

hey there! love this, sooooo cute. i just wanted to let you know that your post was scraped and re-posted here: http://mthollywood.blogspot.com/2011/11/thanksgiving-wreath-place-cards-and.html

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs