Thursday, September 1, 2011

cabbages and roses fabric debut {and a fun sewing project}

I spent one glorious summer in England, roaming the lake country, punting lazily on the Cam River, eating loads of Hob Nobs, window shopping along the cobblestone streets of Cambridge. . . Oh yeah, and studying (a precious little). Even while I was there it felt like a dream and I fell completely in love with that charming country. So when I heard that Great Britain's Cabbages and Roses was introducing a fabric line in the US with Moda, I jumped at the chance to play with it! It's called Northcote Range and it's soft and pretty and gently worn-looking, like something you'd find in an antique shop. Something you'd find wandering the cobblestone streets of Cambridge. . .

This is my makeup bag. SCARY, I know. I've probably had it almost 20 years (really?). I think I got it in high school. Anyway, it is so full these days that I can barely zip it, not to mention the fact that it looks disgusting.

So I chose a cosmetic case pattern from Cabbages and Roses' Home-Made Vintage book (which is full of beautiful sewing patterns and ideas in shabby-chic style!) and made a new make-up bag with this pretty cream and rose pattern.
  
 
Isn't it pretty?

It's a fairly easy pattern, fully-lined, similar to our wet bag tutorial, but a little more polished.

Ta-da! A little better than my old bag, right?

I added a few fabric rosettes to dress it up a little. 


And now all my makeup fits nicely inside (and I can even zip it up!)


Check out the Cabbages and Roses blog see more about this line, coming to quilt shops this month!


share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
4 Comments

4 Responses to “cabbages and roses fabric debut {and a fun sewing project}”

Jessica said...

That fabric is gorgeous! And the bag is adorable too ;)

Happy in red said...

Oh, I like the fabric. It's very Cath Kidston-ish, but better (sorry Cath). Love your new make-up make, much better than the old one!!
Esther.

Stocki said...

Gorgeous fabric! The bag worked out beautifully didn't it! The little fabric roses finish it off perfectly :)x

Julie H said...

This is so cute! That fabric is really similar to the Waverly cabbage roses.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs