Friday, March 18, 2011

raspberry or strawberry free crochet pattern {and a crochet hat head size chart}

How adorable is this little raspberry? My friend Melynie told me she heard that over and over when she was out shopping, but I didn't quite believe it until we went to the grocery store together. Seriously, I don't know how she gets any shopping done when her little sweetie is wearing this hat! We were stopped by so many people who wanted to talk about how cute she was in it.



It started with this pumpkin hat I shared with you in the fall.


I loved the idea of making a hat that wasn't worked in the round. This little strawberry uses the same stitch as the raspberry hat above, but it doesn't have the scalloped edge, and the stem is replaced by little leaves.



I delivered this delightful pink strawberry hat to a friend who just had the CUTEST baby girl--can't wait to see it on her!


Do you love it or what? It's a perfect spring hat for baby. You can find the pattern below, plus a step-by-step tutorial showing how to join a new color of yarn to your project, and a hat size chart you can use to determine how big to make hats for different ages. Happy spring!


Strawberry or Raspberry Crochet Hat Pattern

This pattern is for size 0 - 3+ months. You can adjust the pattern for the size of your choice using the head size chart at the end of this post. Just change the number of stitches and rows until it reaches the number of inches specified in the chart.

Size I/5.5 hook, size G/6.0
Red or pink worsted weight yarn for berry
Green worsted weight yarn for stem
Yellow or white worsted weight yarn for strawberry seeds

Stitches used: Sc, dc, sl st, seed st
Seed stitch: (sc in next st, dc in next st) across

Ch 39.
Row 1: Seed st: (Sc in 1st st, dc in next st) across. Ch 1, turn.
Rows 2 - 28: Seed st: (Sc in 1st st, dc in next st) across.

Your piece should be a rectangle approximately 4" high by 14" long. Continue to scalloped edge if desired, or to finishing step if no scallop is desired. Don't fasten off yet.

Scalloped edge: For a less prominent scallop (like pink example), change to a G hook now. For a more noticeable scallop, keep working with your I hook.

Ch 1, turn. Begin working scallop stitch along long side of piece: (Sk st, 3 dc in next st, sk st, sl st in next) across. Don't fasten off yet.


Finishing:

If you're making a strawberry hat, use a yarn needle and your yellow or white yarn to make small, evenly spaced stitches from back to front to create seeds. On the red strawberry I did a single little stitch. On the pink strawberry I did a tiny "V" stitch. I did a stitch on every other row across and down, creating a diamond pattern. Fasten off.


Inside of hat will look like this:


Next, fold piece in half, matching up short sides and scallops. Holding short sides together, use a yarn needle and matching yarn to stitch short sides of piece together to make a tube (easy way). Or, for a less visible seam, join the ends using your hook and the seed stitch, working sts in end of each row (a little more complicated, but worth it if you're up for it). You should work about 28 sts. Fasten off.


Green top and stem, no leaves:
Change to size G hook.

Round 1: Join green yarn to top of tube with a sc. Sc around top of tube (39 sc worked).

How to join a new color of yarn in crochet:
Insert hook where you want the color to start. Grab your new color of yarn with your hook.


Pull the yarn through the stitch. One loop on the hook.


Now finish your single crochet stitch by yarning over and pulling the yarn through.


It's on!


Now continue on with your sc in the remaining stitches.


Round 2: Dc 2 together (2tog) around (this is a decrease st that will decrease your number of sts around by half).

Round 3: Dc 2tog around.

Additional rounds: Sc 2tog around until stem is at desired width. Then sc in a tiny circle (this can be challenging, so be patient with yourself!) around and around until stem is desired length. Fasten off and weave in ends.


Green with leaves:


Round 1: Join green yarn to top of tube with a sc. Sc around top of tube (39 sc worked).

Round 2: Dc 2tog around until you have 8 sts left.

Leaves: Ch 10. Sc in 1st ch from hk. Hdc in next ch, dc in next 3 chs, tc in next chs, sc in next 2 sc. Repeat 3 more times.


Size Chart for Crochet Hats

0 to 3 months
Hat circumference 11.5" - 13"
Hat height: 4.5” to 5"

3 to 6 months
Hat circumference: 14" - 17 "
Hat height : 5.5” - 6"

6 to 12 months
Hat circumference: 16" - 19 "
Hat height: 6.5"

12 months to 3T
Hat Circumference: 18" to 20"
Hat height : 7"

3 to 10 years
Hat Circumference: 19" – 20.5"
Hat height: 7.5"

Pre-teen to teens
Hat Circumference: 20.5" - 22"
Hat height: 8” - 9"

Womens
Hat Circumference: 21.5" - 22.5"
Hat height: 10"

Mens
Hat Circumference: 23" - 24"
Hat height: 10" - 10.5"


If you make this hat, I'd love to see a picture of it! Oh, and I should mention that all my patterns in my shop are on sale 3 for $9 for a limited time! I'm working on a few new patterns for spring, so stock up on the winter patterns while they're cheap!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
36 Comments

36 Responses to “raspberry or strawberry free crochet pattern {and a crochet hat head size chart}”

Ellen said...

Precious, precious, precious! How could you not stop in the grocery store and tell the babydoll how adorable she is? Thanks for sharing your pattern - I knitted a bunch of tiny hats for the local NICU a couple years ago & this would make a great hat for that kind of thing too. (Except I can't crochet!)

Trish said...

How Cute! These are adorable and the model photos are priceless!

Jessica said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the hat head size chart--I've been needing something like that!!! (And I can't wait to try the sweet berry hats!)

Nic :) said...

awwww simply adorabe!
I must remember to buy one from somewhere when i have a little one!
x

Raejean said...

Thanks for sharing the patterns! They are so cute it makes me want to crochet. I linked to your post in my Friday Favorites.

Carole Reid said...

This almost makes me want to learn how to crochet! Soooooo cute! I;m passing the pattern along to my 21 yr old who would love to make this.

Paige said...

super duper cute! Can't wait to make one for my neice. Although I could do a blueberry hat for my son too. hmmmm...

MommaWard said...

Sooo cute! I must find a baby's head to put one of these on!

Jodi Gallagher said...

I'm so in love! I posted this on my blog! Thanks so much! www.craftingiscontagious.blogspot.com

Melynie said...

Oh. how. adorable!! Love the babies and the berry hats. I hadn't seen the strawberry one--just adorable!! How nice of you to share a free pattern!

Fowl Single File said...

Look at you being all generous and sharing the cuteness with all of us! Thank you!

meemsnyc said...

This is way too cute.

mademoisellealex said...

ohh so cute and thank you for the instructions
have a good and beautiful w end
xoxo from Paris

Our Seven Dwarfs said...

Thanks for another great pattern! I can't wait to make the strawberry hat for my daughter! It will be so cute on her!

Also, thank you for the sizing chart. Now I can maybe create some of my own patterns!

Danielle said...

How adorable! Thank you for adding the size chart.. it was very helpful:) You are truly amazing! thank you for all of your wonderful tutorials.

Crystal Farish said...

Those are the cutest things ever. Thanks for sharing!!!

K-Sue said...

Cute Cute Cute! Thanks so much for sharing this pattern.

Amanda Craft said...

WAY too adorable to stand!! I can't wait to make some of these. What brand of yarn did you use for these?

Little Birdie Secrets said...

For the red strawberry I used Lion Brand's Cotton Ease, and for the light pink strawberry I used Bernat's Cotton Tots. I am not sure about the raspberry--it was a leftover skein from my stash!

Nevelyn said...

I absolutely must make some of these. I generally shy away from the pumpkin hats, but the strawberry is too cute to resist. Will be making this on the weekend, definately.

Also, one of the cutest little models I've ever seen!

thailiz said...

SO darling! I'm making a strawberry one for my daughter's first birthday and was wondering if you have any more advice on making the seam less noticeable? I tried doing the seed stitch but it seemed more noticeable than just using a yarn needle, but I'm probably doing it wrong...thanks so much for the amazing free tutorial!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing your pattern. I've been dying to make one of these for ages so Yippee. It is still in the high 30s here but by the time i get it done, hopefully winter will be upon us. Thanks again!

Nancy said...

These hats are too cute!!! I have got to find someone to teach me how to crochet!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Tutorial! I am going to start working on this soon!

Abbie said...

Too cute! I've made two now - one raspberry and one pale yellow (hoped it would look like pineapple, but it's more like a flower, very cute, also).

I found that I only needed to do half as many rows of the seed stitch to get the right size. So thank you for the measurements and head-size chart. Very useful!

This might be my new go-to baby gift!

BabyScrap'nSew said...

Thank you for this adorable free pattern! I am a beginner (bought my hooks a week ago) and this is my first project. It is too cute to resist! I have a newbie question, when working on rows 2-28 am I supposed to chain 1 and turn? Or turn directly onto the next row?


Thank you!

Aviani said...

thanks for share the patterns...
it's so cute, I'll try to make it

MommaWard said...

Can you tell me if I am supposed to chain 1 before turning on rows 2 -28? Thank you for the tutorial for these swee little hats!

carlymu said...

I made a raspberry one for my 18mo old niece and I think I am going to the strawberry for my 5yr old niece. Super cute and not too complicated! Thanks!

Diana said...

This is so lovely! I am a crochet beginner, would you please make a video and post it on your You Tube page.... :) Would love to see how you make this beautiful hat!

Thank you for sharing & keep up making these amazing crochet gems!

Diana

Mary said...

I also found I only needed about 1/2 the rows of seed stich to create the correct height (14 instead of 28). I was chaining 1 inbetween each row...not sure if this is correct or not.
Thank you so much for the free pattern!!!

Jon said...

Thanks so much for the easy-to-follow pattern! You really helped boost my crochet confidence!

bricolo-chic said...

lovely!bellissimo!!!

Tracie Brown said...

I have a question......do you chain 1 before you turn on rows 2 onward, or just on the first row?

SmallxPackage said...

I got kind of confused at the ending. I'm really nervous on bribing both sides together I think it's going to have a big line down the middle !! Do you have a video for this ?? Or could u explain the ending a little better !!

jojo said...

You are very kind and generous to share this pattern. It's very sweet and I have a year old granddaughter I'd like to make this for. Thank you for making this possible.
Happy Thanksgiving 2014

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs